Sunday, December 1, 2013

Church of Santa Maria del Mar

I won't be saying too much about this church in the old part of Barcelona. It just that ever night I looked at its beautifully lit up twin steeples. Eventually, I decided I need to actually go look at the church, which was only 2 blocks from the hotel.




 


I'll let the church pictures speak for themselves. The original church dates from 1329 but has been expanded since then.




It was also damaged in a few earthquakes and has had extensive repairs done over the years.










The statuary goes back hundreds of years, and yes, those are grave markers that you walk on in the sacristy with names and dates. If you didn't walk and look where you are walking, you'd miss them.



This is the second church that had a statue of Santa Barbara. It is commonly believed in my home town is that she was a minor saint (is there such a thing?) and there is little to say about her. I guess they have never been to Spain.



Here's where you'll find all the rest of the pictures:   Santa Maria Del Mar BCN




No comments:

Post a Comment