Sunday, November 24, 2013

Barcelona the first day. I arrive from Lisbon.

Barcelona Day 1

What can I say. Barcelona is - Spain, Old as Rome, Its Christmas time in a catholic country, and It's finally getting warmer, don't need my ski parka all the time.
I had to get up very early in Lisbon to get to the airport, flying was actually cheaper due to train tariffs, and there was an announced transit strike for that morning.So I had the hotel order me a taxi, got to the airport in plenty of time, Vueling Airlines had efficient checkin agents so I didn't stand in line for an hour like I did at TAP, and security checkin was very efficient. Something interesting here in Europe, the equivalent of our TSA actually help the traveler get thru the station faster by little things that help speed things up.
So I got to the Barcelona airport on time. It has to be the most spread out airport I have ever seen. I walked a good mile to the baggage claim and my bag was the third off the carrousel, unlike at Lisbon where it was the third from the last to come out of the shoot.
Took the Airport express bus to the city center where I had a 5 minute walk to my hotel.
For those keeping track, I just passed 10,000 pictures for the trip when I got to Barcelona. I know some of you are saying it has to be more than that, but I promise its really not. This is not my hotel, but its the 3000 y.o. Roman and Visgoth ruins across the street. When was the last time you hear that word used?

The hotel is in the core city, the old part, between the Born district and the Gothique District. On a map, it is 2 blocks from the Gaudi Duomo, one of his basilicas, but not the Cathedral that is being restored. That is a 15 minute walk away.

Just to educate you. All this marvelous architecture you will see of Gaudi's work, It was all done basically before 1900. His last commissioned commercial work was completed in 1912.
He was definitely a radical dude.Now you know I've been gone too long when I make statements about dudes.
The first thing I did, which I usually do, is get a map and reconnoiter around the hotel, to make sure I can find it again.Glad I did, because the main drag, Via Laietana, is reversed for me. I always want to go in the wrong direction. The Mediterranean just should be on the other side.

 
I am taking so many pictures, as the city is very photogenic, I'm going to post pictures daily and just tell you the highlights of the day. First day was slow, only 187 pictures.
In general, the city is 150+ years old, with the churches and government buildings older, in some cases 500 years older.
Here go my first impressions:
Lots of small alleys.

These are the buildings around my hotel as I didn't want to venture too far this first day.








And this is Gaudi's church, the Duomo. It is incredible stunning in its detail. And it is still used for daily service. It was the Rich Persons church, while Gaudi built and paid for his massive Cathedral, La Segrera Familia, for the masses. More on that in Day 3.

This town is full of small alleys. Even more than Rome, I think. Not big enough for even the small cars. So its walking or motorbikes, But that is where you will find the better restaurants, and tapas bars, and also cafes, for coffee in the morning with your fresh pastry from the bakery shops.



Here is the link for the rest of my day 1 photos:  Barcelona Day 1



No comments:

Post a Comment