Sunday, November 3, 2013

From Torino to Roma The clock said it was time to go

So, on Halloween day, I took off from Torino to head for my next big adventure, Roma. It was a very sad good by. I enjoyed the city, the people and especially Ivan, for all the work he did to make my tour very special.  After just a short while, the focus of what we did changed to meet my interests. And it made it all the better for me. I think that is the nature of the Torino Italians, always very solicitous and looking out for each other and helping each other. Most of the time, I was living in the University area near Piazza Vittorio Veneto. There are several Universities and secondary schools right there, and I think that helps the energy level and the fun factor. On a Friday or Saturday evening, the square was filled with families with small children and young adults who were out until midnight, the adults even later. I took a lot of photos around there .
See the album of night photos and you'll get a flavor for this.  Night Photos of Torino

But Roma was calling so I got on the high speed train from Torino with stops only in Milano and Firenze then Roma Termini. During this 800 km journey we were very smoothly and comfortably cruising at over 300 kph or about 200 mph much of the time. With the stops and all, the trip took only about 4 hours averaging 200 KPH or about 120 MPH. BTW, the Italians are now complaining about how slow it is and how long it takes to get long distances. Lets introduce them to Los Angeles traffic with little or no alternative.
This link explains the different trains in Italy.    Italian-high-speed-trains 
With my Eurail pass, I can ride on any of the high speed trains anywhere for a flat fee of 10 euros, reserved seat, in first class no less. Any other of the regional trains, I just walk on and show the ticket collector my pass and they stamp it, and I'm on. No waiting in lines. Train travel in Italy is very popular and there has to be 100,000 people a day on them. And they go very frequently. Like the metro/subway in Rome. Another blog, but just to say, the subway runs ever 3 minutes, and the cars are full.
The trains are high tech and took a lot of their design from airplanes. Sitting in first class (how else do you think I'd travel) the seats are comfortable, wide and you have a work surface to do business with. They provide free WiFi so you are connected to the internet at a decent speed and they have drink service, but no food.
It was an amazing trip, and the train was completely full, as are most of the trains around here, at least the ones I've taken. It really is well planned, and since it covers the country, people tend to use it a lot.This is the kind of investment in infrastructure we should be making, not more freeway lanes (political button is now off. But you can see what it does in many ways). And realize, that while cruising by at 300 kph you are seeing 1000 year old castles and ruins. Just have a fast trigger finger on the camera button.
So when I got to Termini (The main Roma train station, right downtown), I was suffering from a Cappuccino  withdrawal. 4 hours without caffeine. They really could do with adding a dining car, which some of the high speed trains in France and Germany do have. I expect to sample them, especially the French TGV, which is supposed to be the best in the world, China be damned. You can't get croissants and brie on the Chinese trains yet.
This was my first Cappuccino in Rome at the termini station. It cost almost twice as much as in Torino, I guess the chocolate design on the top is the reason. It was about 1.60 euros, about $2.00US, where it was very common to pay 1 euro in Torino.


Not this time, but often I usually will have a "bread" with my morning coffee, bread being a croissant or similar pastry. Not that sweet unless you get it filled with chocolate or Nutella. I just like it plain or in a brioche pastry. I am watching what I eat so I'm hoping to keep my weight down. Been good so far. We'll see with the Czech pirogi's pastries and goulash, next on my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment